The General Dental Council has launched a consultation on their strategy for 2020-22 'Working with the dental team for public safety and confidence', and are looking to have a conversation about the choices to be made in delivering the GDC's broad statutory objectives.
The strategy reflects the significant progress made against ambitions to make dental regulation better and fairer – as described in Shifting the balance – and the many difficult decisions taken to reduce costs and improve effectiveness.
The strategy sets out a vision for the GDC to:
- protect patients while being fair to registrants, cost-effective and proportionate: by focusing on education and engagement, supporting career-long learning and promoting high standards of care and professional conduct
- work with the professions and partners to ensure that public concerns can be addressed by the right body, quickly and effectively
- use evidence, research and evaluation to ensure enforcement is cost-effective and right-touch
- ensure our approach to regulation keeps pace with change
- continue to build on the considerable improvements we have made.
This is a key moment for dental regulation and the GDC is calling on professionals, partners and the public to engage and support this work.
The consultation is open now and can be accessed on this page. The deadline to respond is Thursday 30 July 2019.